Rebuilding a Dream

Luther St. James IV, MD, follows in his parents’ footsteps, never gives up medical dream

By: Megan D. Kimmel
t
“It was beautiful to see Luther graduate, but I think the best part was having my dad there to see the second generation walk across the stage.”
— Carol Tanner-St. James, MD '84
stjamesfamilyfull Luther St. James IV, is surrounded by his family on the day of his graduation in May. From left are brothers, Tanner, Carl, Charles and David St. James; Sister Grace Mary Flickinger; his wife, Kirbie St. James, PharmD; mother, Carol Tanner-St. James, MD; and father, Luther St. James III, MD. Photo by Mindy C. Miller
familypictures Top: Carol Tanner-St. James and Luther St. James III are pictured at the UF College of Medicine in the 1980s with their first son, Luther, and new baby, Tanner. Bottom: The elder Luther St. James lifts Luther St. James IV for an easy basket.
st-james-legacy_mcm_5465 Sister of the Blessed Sacrament Gracy Mary Flickinger and Luther St. James IV, MD '16 Photo by Mindy C. Miller
“I never thought an elderly nun from Louisiana would have my back the way she has all these years.”
— Luther St. James, MD '16
wcoat 2016 Luther receives his white coat at the Class of 2016 UF College of Medicine White Coat Ceremony.