Icons of UF medical education

Two former deans of medical education honored with Society of Teaching Scholars Lifetime Achievement Awards.

Two former deans of medical education were honored with Society of Teaching Scholars Lifetime Achievement Awards at this year’s College of Medicine Medical Education Banquet.

Robert Watson, MD ’69, who was senior associate dean for educational affairs for nearly 20 years, and Lynn Romrell, PhD, former associate dean of medical education and a professor of anatomy and cell biology, were honored for their excellence in scientific research and discovery, medical education and clinical career during their extended careers at UF.

“The University of Florida is where I went to college, medical school, did my residency and gave my professional life,” Watson said.  “It is my home, always will be, and I will always love it. Receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award was one of the nicest honors I have ever received, and I will cherish it forever.”

Receiving the award together made the honor particularly special for the pair, who became friends during their years working together on medical education.

Watson, who retired from UF after nearly 20 years as senior associate dean, is currently executive associate dean for administrative affairs at the Florida State University College of Medicine. Romrell left UF in early 2008 and is associate dean for curriculum development and evaluation, also at FSU.